Installing FreeNX onto Debian Sarge Box, as sward mentioned this page could almost be replaced by a one-liner. But I couldn’t find that one liner in any one place on the ‘net so I thought I might as well do it myself.
Thanks to slh & hound_ in #nx on freenode.net for helping with this stuff. Also to Fabian for taking the NX libraries from nomachine.com and giving us FreeNX.
- Ensure you have X installed and a Window Manager (FreeNX works best with KDE)
- apt-get install x-window-system
apt-get install kde-core kdm
- Add the folowing to your /etc/apt/sources.list
- deb http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanotix/stable ./
deb-src http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanotix/stable ./
- Install FreeNX
apt-get update; apt-get install freenx
- It will ask questions about setting up custom keys or using the default, my recommendation is to use custom keys. To use custom keys you just need to import the file /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key into the client you are connecting to the server with.
- Create a local user to connect with:
useradd -m testnx; passwd testnx
- Tell NX about that user
- nxserver –useradd testnx
- v0.1, First Version, 21.08.05, Mark Johnson
- v0.2, Added links to FreeNX & Debian, 22.08.05, Mark Johnson
- v0.3, Imported into WordPress, 25.04.08, Mark Johnson